Saturday, May 10, 2014

Overcoming Evil...

As you know, if you read yesterday's Life with Lynnie (LwL) entry, the hospital emergency room (ER) physician agreed to allow me to not have the swelled area, the Seroma inside me, drained that day.  Instead, he made a note on my file, that I was to return to the hospital and have the drainage done, the following Monday, May 5th.

A week ago today, Saturday, May 3rd, I received a phone call from someone at the hospital, where I was to go to have my Seroma drained.

I have no idea who the man was who called.  However, he wasn't very pleasant.

In fact, I must say that he sounded rather upset.  And, rude as he spoke with me.

He confirmed with me that I had not had the drainage done the day before, as was originally to happen.  Then, as I let him know that the ER physician had made a note on my file, allowing me to return to the hospital on the coming Monday, he really got upset with me.

I was told in no uncertain terms, that I was not allowed to return for the drainage to be done.  Because, I hadn't had it done, when it had originally been arranged to be done.

He insisted that due to the drainage not occurring the day before, I would have to work through my London, Ontario surgeon.

It seemed that no matter how I tried to make him understand that the ER physician had approved my return on the Monday, it didn't matter to him.  He was angry.  And, his voice got louder as he told me he didn't care what the ER physician had arranged.

With our conversation over, I faxed my surgeon in London, Ontario, a note. 

Originally, I was going to fax him a note to explain what had happened during the week concerning the tests done, as he wanted me to keep him informed.  But, after this happened, I was glad I had waited to do so, so that he could hear everything that happened.

In my fax message to my London surgeon on Saturday, May 3rd, I mentioned that maybe I should not return to the Windsor hospital on the Monday, even though it had been arranged for me to do so, by the ER physician.

But then, by Sunday morning, the swelled area was growing in size, once again.

By lunchtime, Sunday... it was so swollen, I was in extreme pain.

So, I faxed another note to my London surgeon.  This time, I let him know that I felt I should return to the hospital and have the Seroma drained, the next day, being Monday.

In the note, I mentioned that if he (my London surgeon) felt I should not return to the Windsor hospital to try and have the drainage done, that he or his secretary should telephone me and let me know to not attend.

Meanwhile, I was rather upset.  Not knowing what to do, I prayed.

Not just that God's will be done.  Not just that I would have the drainage done.  But, also that God would forgive the man who had telephoned me from the hospital, with the angry and hurtful discussion.

One thing I was happy about, was that I had not lost my temper with that fellow on the phone, who was insulting and rude, who I got the impression wanted to hurt me, rather than help me.

It reminded me of Romans 12:17-21, "Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."

Yes, I was happy that I had not returned evil for evil, but rather, had been peaceful in my conversation.  For that hospital fellow had truly had an evil attitude towards me.

How grateful I was that I had not become angry with him on the phone... and/or tried to return nastiness that I received from him.  And, that I had forgiven him.

After all, God wants us to be good to others, even if they are not good to us.  So, I was truly grateful to Him, for helping me to be good to that fellow, rather than evil.

Just so you know, my London, Ontario surgeon's secretary telephoned me, the next day.  Monday morning, she let me know that my surgeon asked that I not return to the Windsor hospital.

Instead, he will see me within a few days, himself.

How thankful I am to God, for providing for me.  Not just for helping me to be the kind of person He wants me to be.  But also, because He's provided me with a caring surgeon, who is willing to take proper care of me.

For this, I will always praise Him!

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: