Thursday, May 9, 2013

May 9th - ER

Before I continue with today's Life with Lynnie (LwL) entry, I need to let you know that this was written and posted after I returned home from the hospital, using the date of May 9th, so you could find out about my happenings.

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to the hospital's Emergency Room (ER) department. 

My daughter P drove me.  She stayed with me for a while, then headed home to check on her family and make her children some supper.

Upon returning P picked up a pizza for us to enjoy together, in the ER waiting area.  After all, they don't serve meals to those waiting, and there is nowhere in the hospital to purchase any food, other than snacks in machines.  So, I was thankful to have some tasty grub, while waiting to see the ER doctor.

It was getting late, and knowing that P was exhausted after a busy day, taking her son to a London, ON hospital earlier in the day, she left to go rest.  I stayed in the ER waiting area.

After waiting between five and six (5 and 6) hours, I was finally called in.

A Physician Assistant (PA) asked me why I was there.  I explained what my surgeon/doctor had told me.  To my surprise, her reply was shocking.

I was told that since I was already under doctor's care, I shouldn't have been there, in ER.  She went on further to say that she didn't think they should treat me, nor even examine me.

Sigh...  Yes, I took a deep breath.

Then, I reiterated how my physician had told me that I needed STRONG antibiotics administered Intravenously (by IV).  And, I needed it done... NOW!

After much more discussion, she finally agreed to look at my gut wound, where I was leaking fluid through my skin.  Her attitude changed when she saw it was infected.

I waited for a while to see the ER doctor.

When he arrived, he listened to what I had told the PA and let me know that he didn't know if he should admit me to hospital, even though my surgeon/doctor had told me that one of the ER doctors had suggested I be admitted through the ER department.

Why?  To wait for a bed and be admitted by my doctor would have taken weeks; maybe months.  The hospital is running at more than full capacity.  Yes, people are in hallways.

The ER doctor decided to call in a surgeon.

Much later, another surgeon arrived.  We discussed my situation and what instructions my surgeon/doctor had given me.

He agreed that I needed treatment, and I needed it, right then.  I was admitted, even though I had to remain in the ER department for a while.

Yes, I had to wait, but at least I knew I would begin treatment I needed.  Thank you, Lord!

I was reminded of Isaiah 40:31, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

I praise God for helping me.  I know I could not have done anything, without Him.

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: