Friday, September 28, 2012

Loved Beyond Belief...

When I left off in yesterday's Life with Lynnie (LwL) entry, I was being wheeled into the operating room after sharing love with my family, shortly after midnight on Sunday, September 16th.

As I mentioned previously, the surgery was to be about one and a half (1 1/2) hours in length.

My daughters patiently waited to hear how my surgery went.  Later, they told me that when it got to be after 5:00 a.m. in the morning, they were truly concerned.  No mom.  No surgeon.  No word.

Apparently, they wondered if something went wrong.

Eventually, the surgeon spoke with them.  He explained that the surgery was far more complex than he had realized it would be.

Once faced with the daunting task of my body parts being mashed in with the hernia, the surgeon decided to not just surgically remove parts of my bowels from here and there.  Instead, he painstakingly chose to carefully separate my intestines from the hernia, in areas where they had adhered.  Then, completed the task of reassembling me and repairing the hernia.

Prior to surgery, he had told me he would try to do the repair without using mesh.  Unfortunately, he couldn't do this.  So, mesh it is, inside me.

One thing I was shocked about and grateful for, was the fact that this man cared enough to try to not just make it easier for me to heal, but also to live, afterwards.

I must admit that there was something else I was shocked about.

As with past surgeries, I fully expected that I would spend time in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital, after the surgery was complete.  This didn't happen.  In fact, after surgery, I was moved into a regular hospital room.

Wow!  This meant that my body and systems must have been operating properly.  Surprising!  Shocking!  Truly shocking to me.  Why? 

Well, after one past surgery, where I was supposed to spend one (1) day in ICU, I spent four (4) days in ICU.  And yet, here I was, after a major surgery like this one, moved directly into a regular hospital room!

Another thing I was grateful for, was the fact that my family had not just stayed at the hospital waiting in anticipation of my surgery exit, but also that they literally spent the whole entire night at the hospital.  Concerned for and about, me.

Okay, some might think this is a crazy thought.  But, realize this:  they both have their own families.  Families they need to take care of.

While I hadn't expected them to give up their whole lives throughout the night, knowing that they would have to deal with family life and issues throughout the rest of the day, I was grateful they had been there, for me.

I felt truly loved.  Beyond belief.

This reminded me of Ephesians 5:1-2, "Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour."

How could it not?  After all, what I experienced that weekend, was love.  Total love.  From my family.  From my surgeon.  From God... who provided for all my need.

I'm sure you realize there is more to say, but it will have to wait.  Thank you to all who have prayed for me; may God bless you.

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: