Saturday, April 28, 2012

Under His Watchful Eye...

On Thursday, I had big plans to finish up my income tax return for 2011.  Nope; it didn't happen.  I was too busy with other things!

For starters, I had an eye appointment, at 8:00 a.m.  Yes, you read correctly!  My eye specialist, who I see every six (6) months, for a check-up, opens his office early!

You may be wondering why I need to see an eye specialist every six (6) months.

Well, if you've read the book I authored a few months ago, Love Never Fails You...  (, you would know that I wrote a chapter about being in a collision in 1980.  Or, if you've been a long time reader of Life with Lynnie (LwL), you'll know that I wrote about that incident, here as well.

Afterwards, WCB/WSIB (Workers' Compensation Board/Workers Safety Insurance Board) told me I could do any kind of work, but this was not true.  In fact, it didn't take long for me to receive another back injury, because I still had neck, back, shoulder and other problems that hadn't yet healed.

This subsequent back injury was of great concern to my physiotherapist, who kept insisting there was more wrong with me than just the injury.  Yes, she could feel a hole in my back, where I had torn a muscle, but she kept saying there was way too much inflammation.

A local orthopaedic specialist was caring for me.  I won't go into details about my treatment, except to say that I had a series of three (3) cortisone blocks done at the hospital, one week apart.  This procedure is where massive amounts of cortisone is injected into the spine, in an effort to reduce the amount of inflammation.

Following each block, I was sick for about six (6) days, feeling like I was going to die.  But, not wanting any further problems with WCB/WSIB, I proceeded with treatment.

After the last treatment, I truly thought I was going to die and couldn't even get out of bed, for several days. 

Eventually, on a Saturday, I awoke.  Gordon took me immediately to hospital, for my left eye had swollen up the size of an egg.  The hospital didn't know what was wrong with me and told me to see my family doctor on Monday.

By the time I met my family physician in the hallway early Monday morning, I was on the verge of losing my eye, according to the eye specialist I was sent to, immediately.  I won't continue with regards to details, except to say I once I was out of immediate danger, about six (6) weeks later, I was sent to London, Ontario, to see a diagnostic specialist.

The London eye specialist told me he believed I had a rare form of Rheumatoid Arthritis, called Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS).  He went further to say that I should never, ever have anything invasive done to the spine, for it would bring on another massive arthritic attack of inflammation, again.

Sent back to Windsor, I had to see a rheumatologist, who did genetic testing for the HLA-B27 gene and examined me.  He confirmed I have AS. 

I must say that I am grateful to God, for providing for my every need, even if it was a truly stressful period in my life.  He was in control of that whole situation, that has followed me, for all these years.  Even when I felt alone, and without hope, He was there.  Thank You, Lord!

Since then, I have had to have continuous eye care, and even surgery.  Inflammation comes and goes, and therefore, I must be under the watchful eye of my specialist.

Immediately after my eye appointment, where I was told everything seemed under control, I made my way to M's home.  But, I'll have to tell you more about this, another time!

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: