Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Year's Dinner: A Labour of Love!

Before I begin today's entry, I would like to say that had my dad still been alive, today would have been his birthday.  Happy Birthday, dad!

If you read yesterday's Life with Lynnie (LwL) entry, you'll know that I was having both my daughters and their families for dinner, on New Year's Day.

You'll also know it had been many years since this had happened in the past!  Even so, I was grateful.  Thank You, Lord!  Just the thought about having everyone together made my heart feel like it wanted to burst.

In addition, you'll be aware that I was later than originally planned, in gaining entrance into the party room, where we were to enjoy dinner, together.

Now, on the surface, this doesn't sound bad.  But, once you realize just how much work I actually still had to do, before heading down to the party room, you'll understand better, just how serious this was.

Back in my apartment, I sliced the roast beef that I had cooked through the night in my slow cooker, while I slept.  It needed to be rewrapped, and prepared to be reheated, before serving.  As did the turkey and ham I had cooked the day before!

Potatoes had previously been peeled.  So, I emptied the water, rinsed them, refilled the pot with water and salted lightly, before placing them on the stove to cook.  Scalloped potatoes went into the oven to cook. 

Okay, I cheated!  I didn't use fresh veggies, but rather, cooked some from frozen.

Both my mini slow cookers were filled with gravies of beef and turkey and plugged in, to ensure the gravy would be ready for serving.  I had pre-made the dip for veggies, but still needed to wash the veggies, cut them and place them ready for serving.

As like some of the other food we planned to feast on, I had previously baked some dessert.  I took cupcakes from my freezer, iced them and arranged them, along with fruit cake, to be served after our meal. 

I thought about the amount and variety of foods and felt no one would go hungry!

Normally, I would take my time doing all these preparations!  The trouble was, I was running out of time, and just could not take the time to rest, even for a moment!

Not only did I feel frustrated not having a second to spare, but it didn't take me long to realize that I had physically overdone things.  I was in pain.  Terrible pain!

Normally, I don't take pain medications, but I still had some from when I experienced my jaw pain.  The cramping in my legs and feet, along with the accompanying pain, made it so I could hardly walk. 

If you're wondering if I took some pain meds, you need not wonder any longer.  I did.

Just before 4:00 p.m., I felt like I had everything under control.  Except for one thing.  Where was my family?

As you can guess, there's more to be said, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.  Thank you for your patience! 

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: