Saturday, November 12, 2011

Patience, Patients & Hugs...

Oh dear.  I pray you will have patience with me.  Previously, I promised to finish my story about the Karaoke night, but I cannot yet do this.  Hopefully, Monday will be the day!

As you know, this was a busy week for my family with birthdays.  What you probably aren't aware is that it was a busy week for hospitals, too.

Don't be concerned for me.  I am not and was not in hospital.

My daughter P, did have to drive to a London hospital, to take her son Z, whose birthday it was Thursday.  You would know this if you read the Life with Lynnie (LwL) entry for November 10th.

However, Friday morning, P met with her family doctor, regarding her son.  The specialist in London had let her know that Z has a tumour in his humerous (arm bone); if I said in his leg bone, previously, I was incorrect.  While there, she found out that the results of her latest bloodwork had come back sooner than they thought.

P's red blood cell and white blood cell counts were low, once again.  In addition, her red blood cells are larger than they should be.  Not good, from what I understand.  Of course, how P's Lupus is affecting her blood count, only God and physicians know.

In any case, once again, P's family doctor directed her to go to the Emergency department of Hotel-Dieu/Grace Hospital.  P needed to have blood transfusion(s) done, once again. 

If prayer is important to you, I would ask you to pray for my grandson Z and for my daughter P.  They both need healing.  Our Great Physician is the best at healing!  Thank you, for prayer.  I appreciate this more than you know.

We keep reading that our healthcare system is improving, but personally, I cannot see it.  Frustration is about all I feel whenever I or my family members have need to utilize our healthcare system.

P arrived at the hospital at just after 2:00 p.m. Friday.  By the time I was able to bring her coffee and something to eat, it was about 5:30 p.m.  She was still out in the waiting room.

When I left P to attend my book reading club meeting, it was just after 6:30 p.m.  She was still in the waiting room. 

Arriving back to see her after my meeting, I was grateful to see P had finally gotten called into see the ER physician.  It was about 8:30 p.m. by this time.  By now, I thought for sure she would be receiving her transfusion(s).  Yet, she still was not hooked up for the transfusion at this time.

This was truly shocking, because this time, the hospital had several hours notice to arrange for the blood to be brought into the unit.  The problem wasn't the blood department; it was just the system.  Overcrowding and not enough medical professionals is still the worst of the problem.

It was well after 9 p.m., before P was finally hooked up, receiving the first of two (2) units of blood she was to receive.

Her boyfriend arrived to change the battery in her cell phone, so she could at least play games or spend time on internet or Facebook (FB).  P`s nurses were very kind; they allowed the two (2) of us to be with her, even though only one (1) person is allowed to visit.

Surprisingly, a third (3rd) person arrived.  One of Gordon's relatives.  I hadn't seen this person in close to two (2) years.  Actually, it was nice having him, visit.

As I was leaving, I hugged and kissed P.  Then, her boyfriend.  Then, Gordon's relative.  As I was getting ready to leave, one of P's nurses had a sad look and was sniffing.  I jokingly asked if he was sad because everyone else got hugs.  He replied he was.  So, yup.  I gave him a hug, too!

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: