Thursday, October 20, 2011

Help! I'm Lost!

If you read yesterday's Life with Lynnie (LwL) entry, you'll know that I packed up Gordon's clothing.

All last week, I sorted and packed up everything I decided to give away.  And, loaded it all in my van.  By last Friday, I was done.

This wasn't my reason for heading out of town.  In reality, there was a totally different reason for going out of town last weekend.  I needed to drop off some copies of my book Love Never Fails You... at an Oakville Christian bookstore and make an effort to place more books at other stores. 

Since I was having to go to Oakville and Brampton, I decided I should also stop in Milton, where my friends H & N live.  Also, I travelled to Guelph, where my brother B lives.

Considering I don't often get up to that neck of the woods, I knew in my heart that since I was heading up there on business, I needed to be able to take Gordon's clothing with me and complete this heartbreaking task once and for all.  Some went to N and some went to my brother B, for himself and some for his son-in-law.

Think this strange?  Well, if you know me, I try to multi-task whenever possible.

Besides, I knew that if I didn't do this when I had the opportunity to do so, then I probably wouldn't do it at all.  Meaning, take this opportunity to address the issue of Gordon's clothing.  After all, if I was having to head up there, why not take it with me!

Last Friday evening, I was totally exhausted.  Worn out.  Emotionally drained.  Physically done in.

Even so, when I went to get some sleep earlier than normal, I just couldn't sleep.  By the time 1:00 a.m. arrived, I got myself up and baked some muffins to take with me, because I knew I was making several stops enroute to the bookstore in Oakville.  I hoped that once that task was done, that I had originally planned to do immediately prior to leaving home, I would be able to fall asleep.

Nope.  It didn't happen.  By about 3:15 a.m., I was so angry and fed up with myself, I got up for the day.

After showering, packing up my personal bag and some food and water to take with me, I headed out.  By the time I reached Hwy. #401, it was about 5:00 a.m.

Off I went, heading to my first stop, just south of St. Thomas.  Gordon's friend B lives there.  Even though I knew B was away, I knew I could drop off something to him at his home.

The directions I googled didn't tell me that after I turned onto his road and crossed a rickety metal, single lane bridge I would find myself in a dark area where the road was blocked off.  I retraced my route, once again crossing over the bridge. 

Realizing it would take an extensive amount of time to head back to Hwy. #401, I decided I would have to head into Port Stanley in an effort to find another access route.  Good luck, trying to find a store or something open at 7:15 a.m.! 

I prayed for help.  God answered my prayer, almost immediately. 

At a 4-way stop, I flagged down a car.  It was the only car I had seen in miles!  The driver must have thought I was crazy at first, but laughed heartily when I waved my arm at him, claiming I was lost and needed help.  He replied that no one could possibly be lost in Port Stanley! 

In reality, this fellow was right.  I knew where I was, so I wasn't truly lost; I just didn't know how to get to where I needed to be!

When I replied that I wasn't supposed to be in Port Stanley and explained the situation, he was very helpful.  He chuckled as he leafed through a map book in his vehicle.  Within a few minutes, I was on my way! 

When I read the name on the rural mailbox at B's home, I knew I had found where I was supposed to be!  Praise God!  Thank You, Jesus! 

I'm sure you realize there is more to be said.  It will have to wait until tomorrow!

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: