Thursday, September 1, 2011


If you've been reading recent Life with Lynnie (LwL) entries, you'll know that my friend J, accompanied me to Chicago early last Friday morning.

You'll also be aware that we managed to take the Water Taxi to see some of downtown Chicago's buildings.  Unfortunately, due to J's poor feet and my physical problems (especially my knee), having to climb up and down steep staircases, we didn't see anything else in downtown Chicago.

J had been to Chicago several times, so it didn't bother her to not see any sites.  However, I kind of wish I could have seen more.  Oh well, there's always another time, I suppose!  God willing...

As you could probably guess, this trip was another one of the firsts in my life, without Gordon.  Not only was I heartbroken he wasn't with me, but I prayed long and hard that God would help me make this short trip, physically.

If you know me, you'll know that I am partially-disabled.  Walking long distances is a problem for me, as is doing stairs (up or down).  When Gordon was with me, I felt rather secure, since he was there to help me, if I needed help.  However, without him, I was not as self-assured.

I must say that I am ever-so-grateful for my chiropractor, who obtained that computerized equipment that freed my neck so that I could move better, for the first time in about 29 years.  This happened just a few weeks before Gordon died.

It was only because of this treatment, that I was able to begin exercising.  Being in a very weakened condition, it wasn't easy; nor, is it easy, now.  Although I am now much stronger, especially in my neck and shoulder area.  No, I'm not fully healed, but I am stronger than I was.

If I wasn't improved, I doubt that I would have been able to carry the backpack/stool that I took with me.  Gordon used to carry it for me.  It would usually carry our movie camera, drinking water and/or lunch from time to time.

In the past, whenever I needed to rest my back, knee, etc., we would stop and I would sit for a few minutes, before moving on.  This time, I also took my cane with me, even though I am walking better on flat surfaces and don't really need it on a day-to-day basis. 

I did so, in case my knee gave out on me, again.  It would have been a terrible dilemma, had this happened and I didn't have my cane with me.  Truthfully, with all the stairs and ramps we experienced, I was glad I had it with me, just for the extra support!

Here's what my backpack/stool looks like, opened and closed up to carry.

Neither J, nor I checked any luggage.  After all, we were only going to be gone overnight, so J just packed what she needed into her carry-on bag, while I packed a carry-on bag and placed it inside the backpack/stool.  It actually worked out well, because we didn't have to wait to collect any luggage! 

And, when we checked in at our hotel, we were able to leave our carry-on bags in our rooms and not carry them with us, all day.  This made my backpack/stool much lighter!

Believe it or not, I still have more to tell you, so I hope you'll stay with me for tomorrow's entry.

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: