Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Work in Progress...

Once again, due to writing about life issues, I haven't commented about my week.

Last Sonday, I did my usual; I went to church to worship.  Of course, being the first Sunday of the month, I was happy to celebrate communion at the end of our worship service.

Afterwards, I had to go to my office, so I did so; since it's not far from the cemetary where Gordon is buried, I visited there, too.

Talking about work, on Monday, I met with P, a co-worker of mine, with whom I co-listed a home a few days earlier.  Together, we discussed marketing strategy and other things, while we each enjoyed a cup of French Vanilla Cappuccino, at Tim Horton's!

Yes, we rolled up the rim, to see if we had won; unfortunately, neither of us had won a car, or anything else available in the contest.  Oh well, there's always next time!  :-))

Tuesday was a memorable day.  I met for a late lunch, with Gordon's granddaughter's other grandma A, whose second (2nd) husband died, a few weeks ago.

You may have read about A's husband's funeral I attended; but maybe you haven't.  I knew A's first (1st) husband, who died just before Gordon's granddaughter was born.  A eventually remarried and enjoyed many years with a loving husband, who she now misses, greatly.  Let's face it, widowhood isn't easy, for anyone.

Together, we enjoyed great food, conversation and fellowship.  It was good getting caught up on life with A.

One thing that sticks out in my mind, and probably always will, is the fact that not only does A's children and family support her regularly, with phone calls, visits and outings, but she also sees and hears from Gordon's granddaughter, regularly.  Weekly, in fact.

While I am happy for A, it reminded me that Gordon had been right. 

Many a time, he had gotten upset with me for contacting his granddaughter and making arrangements to get together for special occasions.  He felt she really couldn't be bothered with us and he felt we shouldn't call, that it was basically her place to contact us, if she wanted to have us in her life.  Gordon felt that we were begging for a relationship, by creating contact.

Even at the time, I knew he was right.  But, still I did this, because I knew in the end, how happy it made him to see his granddaughter and her family, especially his great-grandsons.

Being with A, hearing of all the love and support she receives from our mutual granddaughter made me happy for her, but sad for me. 

Unfortunately, I never hear from our granddaughter, ever.  Except for immediately after Gordon's death, when we met on a couple of birthday celebrations and at her other grandpa's recent funeral, I never hear from her, even to receive a thank you for gifts, or for holiday wishes, etc.  Sad, but true.

As we parted ways, and as I made my way home, I thought of all those things, and about the fact that the day was part of the grief time I usually experience, monthly.  I cried almost all the way home.

Even so, I realized that there is nothing I can do about the situation.  That God is in control of everything in our lives.  For whatever reason, He obviously feels I need to experience more pain.

Well, at least I can say that I realize that nothing surprises God.  He uses everything, to sanctify us, to mold us into the image of His Son, my Lord, Jesus Christ.

Again, I cried out to Him:  When will this molding be done, dear Potter?!  And, I realized I must still have a ways to go, for I am still just a work in progress.  As you are too, my friends.

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: