Saturday, January 8, 2011

God's Help...

On Wednesday, the day after my overwhelming funeral home visitation day, I knew I could not attend all three funerals, for they were all scheduled at different locations, but basically at the same time (within one half [1/2] hour of each other).

Feeling badly about letting friends down, I made the decision to attend my granddaughter A's grandpa J's funeral.

I made my way to the Victoria-Greenlawn Funeral and Reception Centre and parked my van in the line-up of vehicles attending the grave-side, later.

It was a lovely service.  J had been trusting in Jesus for his salvation.  Of course, whenever a believer dies, it's a rather melancholy feeling, to say the least.

As God's word tells us, for a be absent from the body, is to be with the Lord! (2 Corinthians 5:8).  So whenever a believer dies a physical death, here on earth, their spirit leaves this earth and goes to heaven to be with the Lord!  How could anyone ever be upset about that?!

Even so, we are only human.  As humans, we grieve and become sad when we lose a loved one, to death.

It is clearly difficult for we who are trusting in Jesus for our salvation (some people say being saved), for the happiness, joy and upset, sadness sometimes keeps us on a roller-coaster ride of emotions.  Well, at least once the shock wears off!  We definitely need God's help to get us through.

The service was a little different than what I am used to, for while there was beautiful music, both live and pre-recorded, we who were in attendance did not sing.  The gospel message was given, by the Pastor officiating.  Family members spoke.  All in all, it was a truly lovely service.

Because this centre is located on grounds attached to both Victoria Memorial Gardens and Greenlawn Cemetary, it only took a few short moments to reach the grave site.  The committal part of the service was lovely, as well.  And, short.  The weather was so-o cold, it began snowing...only for a few minutes, though.

Afterwards, we returned to the centre, where a luncheon awaited us.

I shared a table with relatives of my (& Gordon's) granddaughter, from her Mom's side of the family.  We conversed about years previous and various topics of times, both good and not so good to remember.

From Gordon's side of granddaughter A's family, I was the only person in attendance.  This made me rather sad.  Still, I am glad she has a huge family, who showed support, on her Mom's side of the family.

Upon leaving the facility, I drove over to Gordon's grave, where I prayed for a short time.  It only took a minute to get there, as I didn't even have to leave the grounds. 

I felt I needed to stop there.  Why?  I don't know.  After all, it's only his body in the ground there; he's in heaven.

Then came the real trial of the day, for me.  I did what I had been promising myself I would do.  I made my way to my bank, and accessed my safety deposit box (SDB).

Praying, crying and reassuring myself that I needed to do this, I removed Gordon's ring from my right hand, from where I had been wearing it, since his death.  I kissed it, placed it in the ring box, and secured it in my SDB.

Before I left the private room and secured the SDB in the vault, I removed my wedding rings from my left hand and placed them on my right hand.  I feel I am just not ready to stop wearing them, at this time.  Maybe with God's help in the future, but not now. 

This will have to suffice for the time being, for this was all the pain and sorrow I could handle, for now.

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: