Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Unusual Happenings and Ideas!

Ohhhh, glorious sleep. I slept like a log, after I went to bed about 3:45 am. It's awful being up during the middle of the night. No one to call, nothing much to do, except some computer work, for work. And Facebook, of course!

Since yesterday I wrote about Father's Day, I didn't get a chance to talk about yesterday. Well, it was my usual Monday during the day, except for left over sadness from Father's Day.

Last evening was an unusual one. As you may know, I am a member of a Creative Writing group. In addition to being my evening to meet with my cronies at my church across town, it was also Fireworks Night.

Here in Windsor, we used to have Freedom Festival; due to various reasons, we still have celebrations, carnival and the like, but we no longer call it Freedom Festival. Nothing much has changed, other than the name.

The fireworks display is one of the largest in North America. Barges on the Detroit River contain all the fireworks. Since it is a celebration for both USA and Canada, crowds gather on both sides of the river. Usually, beginning at suppertime. Just when I needed to cross town!

After getting caught up in traffic jams, due to road closures, I managed to get to church on time. It was a good thing I left home earlier than normal. Of course, my trip home was the same, for by the time I left church, just after 8:00 pm, even more roads were blocked off. What a driving nightmare. Still, those that attend the fireworks, love it!

Our Creative Writing group meeting was a little different than normal. This was because our facilitator had previously asked me to teach a class on blogging. Hmmm...for those who don't know, our group isn't really a teaching type class. All who attend are writers at heart. Most are writing books, while some prefer poems. You may have heard me say that since Gordon died, I have done no more writing of my book, but have been blogging, only.

Well, even though I am not an expert at blogging, I suppose I do have more experience than most of the people in attendance. Anyway, I did teach the class. It turned out to be a pretty good class, I think. No one seemed to be bored, so that's a good sign! Of course, as per normal, we critiqued a writer's work: mine. :-))

One thing is for sure, there is a writer or two in our group that I am sure one day I'll be proud to say, "I knew them when...!"

This morning I did my usual routine. Work, work, work. What can I say. Facebooked, too. In between calls and computer work.

Later in the day, I was happy that it hadn't rained today, for I went to the pool and did my 30+ minutes of pool exercise. It was quite a hot day, yet by the pool it seemed cool. The breeze off the river and lake, just seems to cool things down, in that area. The pool is heated; the water temperature was beautiful. When you get out, even in the heat, it feels cool. A nice relief!

Of course, it doesn't take long before the temperature begins to make one feel warm, again. Tonight, on my way to pick up my daughter P about 6:50 pm, my van thermometer said it was 90F/32C. Wow! And, it's still just June. Hopefully, we're going to have a good summer and not one that is overwhelmingly hot and humid!

P and I went to a meeting to receive feedback from the mediation hearing that occurred, today. We are both members of the boarded up houses group, for Windsor's west side, near the bridge.

Apparently, the hearing seemed to go well, with the mediator leaning towards the City of Windsor relenting and issuing demolition permits for the massive number of vacant and boarded up houses that pose a threat to those who live in the area. Apparently, the recommendation went to the Mayor; he refused.

Oh well. This means more legal steps and progressing with the lawsuit that has begun. Time will tell. Hopefully, our Mayor will relent and change his mind, before any residents get hurt, robbed, mugged, raped or murdered by someone hiding out in any one of the mega number of houses in this condition. You would have to see it for yourself to believe it. Almost whole streets of boarded up homes, with the occasional home being lived in. It's horrible. My personal opinion is that the City of Windsor is currently being negligent in protecting the citizens of the area.

In fact, I decided tonight that even though I don't usually buy lottery tickets, I will this week. Apparently, the prize(s) are huge. I've decided that if I were to win the large prize, I would be able to afford to buy homes next to our Mayor's and Counsellor's homes. I would leave them vacant and boarded up. We'll see how fast the City Building Dept. would issue work orders! They wouldn't want to live in an area such as this, creating danger for themselves and their families, but are allowing low income people struggling to live in this affected area, to be subjected to this threatening arrangement. Shame of them!

Okay. I'm off my soapbox, now. I was glad the legal meeting had ended earlier than I previously thought it would, for I headed over to Tecumseh Roadhouse. No, there wasn't practice or competition for Bluesfest going on. Just karaoke. My intention wasn't to sing; in fact, I didn't sing.

What I did was, I ate dinner there. Usually, I don't like to sing on a full stomach, so when I had been attending every week, I wasn't ordering food, just tea. I felt badly, for I know that as a restaurant, even though they serve liquor, their main business is food. So, I went and ate dinner. Well, at least half of it, anyway. The rest, I brought home with me, for tomorrow as an instant replay!

It also made me feel good to let the people running the karaoke know that I wasn't upset for not making the cut into the semi-finals. I wanted to let them know I was okay with it. We had a nice visit and chat, during dinner. Just thinking they may have thought I didn't come back, because I didn't make the cut, was upsetting to me, so I'm glad I went.

In addition, I ran into a fellow who had performed and not made the cut, last week. He and his wife had eaten dinner there, also. Apparently, his wife made a DVD of every performer singing in the Bluesfest Idol 2010 quarter-final contest. Of course, I bought one from her! Once I've had a chance to view it, I'll comment on it.

Now, it's getting to be bedtime. Hopefully, I'll be able to sleep earlier tonight, than last night, because I have to be up early in the morning. So, wish me well! Know that I appreciate you reading and pray you will have a great sleep!

Until next time...

If you would like to comment, please e-mail: lifewithlynnie@gmail.com I'd love to hear from you!